Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Broadband competition. I thought there was some.

Well looking at putting broadband in for my daughter in her new home. It's become apparent to me how out of touch I am with things. I assumed that with the competition in the broadband market it would be easy to get the package at a reasonable price and get on line quickly. Boy was I mistaken.

It seems that she lives in a non cable area. There are still a few of these that are not economically viable to dig up the streets and place cables. What this means is she must have a BT line installed. Full Stop. No other way of getting anything in. This means a minimum payment to BT of £10 pm just so that the broadband services can piggy back on top. A phone that we don't actually want, will never use and yet still have to pay for. Talk about a cash cow.

So what it boils down to in reality is we have to pay a third party £10 pm, one third of the total cost, because they just happened to be given the final connections paid by us many many years ago. I thought this was all sorted out now with OfConOfCom or whatever they are now, and that competition was forcing prices down. It seems that it costs almost as much to have an existing standard analogue line in as it does to fit broadband from scratch.

Call me a whiner but I actually object to having to apply to two different places just to get broadband fitted and pay £10pm just for a single bit of cable that costs less that £100 to wire up in the first place and has been in place for decades.

However, it looks like I have to bite the bullet or I get nothing. So yet again I contribute to big business in something that must be a close as you can get to a tax on broadband services.

6 Comments:

At 11:32 pm, Blogger Lord Nazh said...

Try satellite.

 
At 1:16 am, Blogger Crushed said...

When we moved in here, it took three weeks to get broadband up and running.
And a lot of abusing of Indian call centre workers.

 
At 6:30 pm, Blogger James Higham said...

Ask her to forget all this ancient broadband stuff and move up to dial-up.

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger Bag said...

My Lord, Satellite still requires the phone line as an uplink to send the requesting data. There is no real way around it.

Sadly she has experience of dial up and it just won't work with her MSN, Skype and Warcraft requirements.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

 
At 12:21 am, Blogger Lord Nazh said...

bags, I have satellite, they do make 2-way satellites you know :)

 
At 7:28 am, Blogger Bag said...

My Lord, I didn't know that was available. Last time I looked Satellite was one way. With a phone line used for the uplink. I'm sure that even pying BT will be cheaper but I'll have a look at that option and see if it is available in the UK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home