Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Wisdom of Crowds

I've just picked up a book on the 'Wisdom of Crowds'. I'm hoping it explains to me some things I find confusing.

You see I am a believer that groups as a whole do better than individuals. I worked for a company back in the 20th century who liked to demonstrate this sort of things and many common sense items were proven in the process to make me a better manager. Groups are better than individuals was proved to me at that time although we knew it was so prior to that.

Now starting from the stance that I agree a group is better than an individual I'm now finding this view challenged by the facts I've learnt over the last few years. These facts being that Labour have been in power for 10 years and Big Brother seems to be the centre of the universe while millions die around the world.

I think we need to qualify it a bit. Groups of your peers do better than individuals. Groups of people with average or above average IQ's do better than individuals. Mmmm. There must be a way to remove the 22% of people that are really dozy from this.

Maybe I'll find the answer in the book. Better get started then.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 am, Blogger Tim Worstall said...

It works the other way around. Look for Galton's Ox. Crowds are only wiser when everyone is listened to. When you start to limit it you get self-reinforcing group think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home