Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I have a headache.

I've just spent an hour talking to someone about the welfare state. This person is on benefits, has three kids and no job. She drinks a lot and smokes. She used to do drugs and says she does not now but I'm not convinced. She is having problems with her middle child who has been arrested for criminal damage although he is not going to be prosecuted by the sound of things. Lack of evidence, a technicality, being the issue.

Apparently it is my fault, well, maybe not mine alone, it's because we are not giving them enough to live. She can't apparently get a job because she needs to look after child number three. But before child number three she was unemployed as well. It seems no-one knocked on the door and offered her a £12K p.a. job working 10:00 till 14:00 with an hour for lunch. Seems that is roughly what she picks up with all the benefits she gets which includes rent, council tax etc.

So we sat and the best I got was that she was comparing herself to immigrants who come in with big families with the sole intent of living off the state. She, who admittedly worked for her early life, says that the money she paid in during that time entitled her to claim now. What an investment policy. Paying in £3K p.a. for ten years entitles you to £12K p.a. for twenty.

Admittedly she is one of those that would work if she could. It's just she can't because there are no reasonably paying jobs for someone who has no skills besides her sexual techniques, the ability to type two words a minute and answer the phone. Oh, and can only work 10:00 till 14:00 and even then only if it is local. I was going to suggest prostitution but after my discovery during a previously heated discussion that certain parts of my anatomy can be tied in knots and generate a lot of pain I reconsidered.

She just cannot earn what she gets for free from the State. She cannot live on what is being given by the social either so we need to pay her more. It causing issues with the kids who cannot afford some of the extras in life like branded trainers. And she should have this because it is her money she is getting back. Not like some of these scroungers who are ripping off the state.

It's given me a headache. I'm off to watch Stargate now followed by BattleStar Galactica.

2 Comments:

At 7:11 am, Blogger Malthebof said...

I am a newcomer to your blog. There was no mention of the father of these children, and his contribution to their upbringing. Does he/they exist or were they vigin births.
As my old mum used to say 'I only ask 'cos I want to know'.
Malthebof

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Bag said...

Malthebof,

Three different dads. No financial contribution. She and the kids do not even see or speak to them any more. One child, the middle one, gets a card and a present for his birthday and christmas most years but not every year.

The reason I didn't mention it was that I was more annoyed about the fact that she fully believed she was entitled to the funds because of her work history. Her £3K tax,if it was that much, entitles her to live for life off the state. Not like the immigrants who have not paid a penny. That is what we are pushing out to these people and they believe it because they want to.

Have the same philosophy myself of enquiring about things. If you don't ask you don't find out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home