Saturday, June 21, 2008

What a surprise. More knee jerk legislation coming.

It seems that the decision earlier this week that anonymous witnesses do not give a fair trial is not to our governments liking. They are proposing to bring out legislation making them legal. Read here.

Typical that they can spring into action when it suits them. It's almost as if they have nothing else to keep them busy. Wonder why they are not commissioning a report and setting up a committee to look into it? Could it be that they already know the answer and feel that this is just one area where the public will not be happy for experts to be ignored by useless politicians?

As it is whilst they are rushing through this bit of illiberal legislation there are forty people convicted by anonymous witnesses that are appealing. Makes to actually wonder how many of them are actually guilty. It does me. Forty sounds a lot. It sounds very much that with that amount there must have been a few who are victim to a few anonymous grudges and to be perfectly honest it would not surprise me in the slightest if plod had not got a few to provide testimony anonymously as they knew it would not hold up to the scrutiny of the defence. So probably a higher percentage of injustice than most then.

British justice. It's a joke. It seems to get worse as every day you here about more the farce our justice system gets up to.

When this lot get kicked out of power and the next lot get in I wonder if any thought will be given to investigating some of these cases. Of curse nothing will be done for those who have served their sentence or are on short ones but what about those on long term sentences? I don't want criminals getting away on a technicality but we can't just let the government screw people over just because they can.

It's a right mess. Makes you proud to be a free man in the world. *cough*

2 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Blogger Snafu said...

Erm, I think it's useful legislation that should have been in place years ago. It's already used in certain cases in Northern Ireland or on the grounds of national security anyway.

If I was one of those witnesses, I'd refuse to give evidence if I was to lose my anonymity. I'd rather let a murderer go free than have to watch my back for the rest of my life. I wouldn't trust the Police witness protection scheme at all!

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Bag said...

There is already the capability of doing this and I believe that it should be used where necessary and under tight controls. However I believe that this lot use it where it is not necessary and use it to pervert justice by not allowing the accused to fight a decent defence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home