Friday, May 16, 2008

Avoid Epson printers.

Almost a year ago I bought a Epsom Stylus DX5000 and a very good specification it had too. Everything I needed and at a good price. I usually buy HP printers as my main one is still a HP LaserJet 4 and it's going fine. Must be nearly 15 years now.

Today I just went to get some new cartridges and have found that I can't get replacement cartridges only Epsom branded ones. The price is about average for branded but few people hold them. It seems that the cartridges are specially made to be non functional if an attempt is made to refill them. The refill shop owner says that this model is one of a few that the manufacturers are doing this too lately. He told me a story about one brand that when the ink runs out it burns the heads so it can never be refilled.

When I'm looking for a replacement printer again I'll be checking and avoiding any super dooper printers that can't be refilled. I've never had a problem with refilled ink, it's cheaper and lasts longer. I think the filled cartridges are only three quarters filled anyway. By volume petrol is cheaper than ink and probably costs less to create.

So, when the ink runs out again I'm going to buy a new printer instead. Anyone know where I can find out which models can be refilled or not? I'm thinking it is just better to visit a refilling web site or shop and choose one of those that refills are available for. Why go for a latest technology printer that you only use basic printing and scanning from the functions available anyway?

Rip off companies. I hope their market share falls. Epsom was such a good supplier when I first started. Obviously they see this as their way to bigger profits. I hope it backfires on them.

4 Comments:

At 4:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get mine from here
http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/ .
Have done for several years. Once you've identified a likely printer, check on IJT to see if they do recycled or other non-original equipment cartridges.

 
At 4:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using the same cartridges now for about 18 months, refilling by syringe every time they run dry.
I've been told they shouldn't be refilled more than a few times, but I must have done it ten times now and thet still work fine.

My printer is an HP.

 
At 5:59 pm, Blogger Bag said...

vfts, Thanks for that. An address I will use next time I'm on the lookout.

John, I understand that it is because the heads clog up eventually but I suppose it has much to do with the quality of ink as anything.

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger James Higham said...

My printer was an HP 1100c. The regular cartridges and the Xerox similar ones could both be refilled with toner at a fraction of the cost. This is still the case.

When I went Mac, the printer changed to Lexmark - a firm who play games. The initial cartridge gives 500 copies only and then they really slug you for your next.

I haven't done that - replaced it, especially as everything seems to ahe come to an end here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home