Monday, September 24, 2007

I hope the laptops are better at figures than this lot.

Well it seems that the $100 laptop we hear so much about actually costs $188. Read here.

It does seem to have a few interesting features though. I believe that the balls on the rail are teflon coated so they....oh wait. The laptop will be solar powered, a foot pump or a string pull. Sounds like an exercise machine as well.

Now I'm a firm believer in education and allowing people to improve their lot but I just cant see how this will do it. Most of the people this seems to be aimed at are scraping out an existence which seems to keep them busy. Are a few games of freecell and a vision of a life outside the village is going to help them? I just don't see how.

To me it seems that yet another group has put forward a proposal to get paid from our extorted money and been funded on another useless project. I suppose the good news is that we might actually get something out of it ourselves. I wouldn't mind a solar powered laptop to do basic word processing on. This lot will appear in someones bargain bin in the next year.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 am, Blogger James Higham said...

Is a $100 laptop really a desirable thing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home