Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Virgin Media really is crap.

Last Thursday evening my set top box went faulty. It started crackling and you could not hear what was going on. So I phoned up Tech Support on Friday for an engineer. Earliest they could get one was Tuesday. So I objected and was also put on a list if there was a cancellation.

Today I called to see what time my engineer is coming around. Nobody is. Seems one was sent out on Friday but I was not in. I did go out for half an hour, if that, to pick the little one up. Clearly there was a cancellation but no card was left. What a surprise. They are offering me an engineer for Friday but I'm objecting again and the system is down so they can't do anything special at the moment for booking something.

Can Virgin really stick to that name when it is clearly screwing me? I've got no TV and have no chance of getting it for a week. And yet the customer is their priority. I don't think so. I'm clearly not.

Where is the competition? It seems my other options are that I go Sky or Freeview. I don't watch a lot of telly so either would not be a problem for me. Tonight we will have a family meeting and we can discuss it.

Only problem is with telling them to get stuffed is that I use the broadband, a lot, and I still want that. I could go to BT as there are other benefits such as a fixed IP. Or I stick with Virgin broadband which I have not had a problem with. Do I just get rid of them completely?

One thing is certain. I'm getting rid of the TV. I'll have to change my phone as well as I may want to move broadband as well and a BT line is required. It's slightly cheaper as well for the volume of calls I use.

So current status of decision making process :

1) TV moves to Sky or Freeview.
2) Phone to BT and I need to decide do keep the same number or not.
3) Leave broadband with Virgin.

One thing that always annoys me about this sort of situation is that whenever you call the call centres the people are really nice. I've spoken to a few and even when I start they are still polite. It's difficult going on at them when they are not the problem. I'd hate to work in a call centre. I tell them that I'm not getting at them but their organisation and they apologise. It's part of the training. From what I can work out most of the population will feel better with an apology. Personally, I find automatic apologies from a third party annoying. It's not something they caused. They are apologising because that is what they are expected to do and it is meaningless. Interestingly enough I like the engineers apologies because it is more like it. I'm sorry for the delay but our management is crap. How can you argue with that?

7 Comments:

At 8:55 pm, Blogger Crushed said...

They pissed me off a bit, Virgin.

With BT now. At least they give you more plausible stories.

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger lady macleod said...

You're right it's no fun to yell at the people who didn't bugger it up.

Interesting blog. I have heard your name a bit around the blog neighborhood and came over for a visit.

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger Bag said...

CBI It's still an option but I've not had a problem so far with broadband.

My Lady, I hope it was only good things you heard.

I hope you like it. It shows the real me. Although I'm aware that sometimes it can be difficult to guess my true thoughts about something through the things I say.

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Damn right they'll be good things she heard. Your blog is brilliant.

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger Bag said...

Why Thank you for those kind words. There are many good blogs out there and many have excellent writers who are more articulate and not so self opinionated.

 
At 11:07 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Bag,

Have a look at Sky's Surf, See, Speak deal - I took it up a couple of months ago and no probs so far.

 
At 10:17 am, Blogger Bag said...

Henry,

Thanks for the pointer. It's not for me I'm afraid. I'm sticking with Virgin for my broadband. It's been OK up to now and I can't afford to lose my link because I work from home a lot and I'm a firm believer in 'If it ain't broke then don't fiddle with it.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home