Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Talk about out of touch.

My car insurance renewal came through today. It was for just over £300. Fully Comp and Protected No Claims. Pretty much the same as last year if I remember correctly.

So I thought I should really add my daughter to the policy so that when she passes her test she can have transport capability. So I call the renewal line and enquire about how much it will cost to add my daughter.

£1,200 ish just to add her to my policy. WTF!!!! I couldn't believe it. To be honest I was thinking it might be another £150 or so but nowhere near that much. Clearly I have lived a sheltered life.

I now understand why there are 2M people driving around without tax and insurance. No coppers on the road only speed cameras and radar vans on bridges. Even if you got caught you would never be fined the same amount you would pay for insurance, tax and keeping the car roadworthy. I'm only a poor student your honour. The alternative is to pay massive amounts and, the best bit, part of the payment is for those that have not got insurance. In reality the legitimate drivers pay for the others.

I've discussed this with my neighbour. He has three kids all with cars and it seems that it's because I've a 2l model. Whoopie Do Dah. Only a couple of years ago I had a 3.5l one. I'm sure glad that I never enquired then or I would be pushing up daisies now. He seems to think that it would be cheaper for me to buy her a Corsa 1.2 or something similar and get her insured on that. I'm going to make some enquiries but from the figures he gave me for his kids he is right.

As an aside my son is looking at taking some lessons. He is looking at going to Uni so will need some form of transport. As he is younger than my daughter, by 1.5 years, I'm convinced that I would be able to buy him a brand new Corsa for the cost of his insurance.

3 Comments:

At 3:18 pm, Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

Your son being male means that he will pay even more.

I was looking at the fact that Direct Line now lets named drivers earn no-claims bonuses; I was comtemplating paying for my father to put me on his insurance (which doesn't cost too much) so that i can start earning no claims.

DK

 
At 3:20 pm, Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

P.S. I've been lucky. Edinburgh is too small to actually require a car, and getting around London's public transport system is far better than trying to drive!

DK

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger Bag said...

Sadly that is not the case in most places and certainly not here. You really need your own transport to get about. The buses travel for parsecs and take over an hour to do a journey you can do in a car easily in fifteen minutes. Public transport here is local,main city centres or non existant.

In saying that he does have a on call taxi driver. Just not one that can respond to a teenagers adhoc routine. He will need more than that when he goes to Uni.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home