Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I'm in the process of remortgaging.

Just looking at moving to a new provider and reducing my costs. Seems that renegotiation every few years reduces your payments. I thought I'd have a go and it sure looks that way as I'm going to be £80 pm better off.

Of course my first hurdle is that I now need to supply my passport for ID. Why? Seems it's a government requirement to stop money laundering or something. What? How does it do that? The agents don't know but no ID means no deal. I'm going to save about £80 a month so I'm forced to do something. So I tell them I don't have a passport. Seems a KGB style Driving License is just as good. Just having my passport renewed I don't want to lose it and all the associated trauma. If I lose my driving license I'll just do without until I need to produce it then I'll act surprised and say I've just lost it and apply for a new one. What they are going to do if the ID cards replace passports and driving licenses? In the future I won't be able to get my allocation of air or use buses or trains till my ID card is back. What a country we live in. I know it's trivial but it is one of many straws that are breaking my back.

Anyway it seems that just changing your mortgage provider takes about six weeks. What with all the legislation on money laundering and the hoops everyone goes through. I suppose I'm lucky in a way. I don't have to go through the potential trauma of being gazumpted.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 pm, Blogger The Pedant-General said...

" I don't have to go through the potential trauma of being gazumpted."

I'm sure any decent mortgage company could find a way to do that for you.

;-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home