Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Here is the next thing for a misplaced clampdown.

Chewing gum. The next big things to be clamped down on by the Government.

Serious stuff. Seems it costs a fortune to clear up at 10p per deposit. Councils are funding this, some to over £40K pa, and want some subsidies to help them.

So, yet again, instead of clamping down on the offenders the plan is to get the manufacturers to fund this clearup or funding from a central source. That will mean that people who dispose of their gum properly will be funding a cleanup for those that don't. Oh, and this could be an offence we could handle the easy way by our pay as you go justice scheme. Of course being an offence against the council it is likely to have a fine of £1K so won't fit into it.

Unfortunately, I'm a pain when it comes to this. I see this sort of funding as me paying for the privilege of disposing of my gum by spitting it onto the street. A bit like the extra you pay for blank CDs because they are used for copying. I see it as a license to copy CDs and, will if this goes through, save time on wrapping my gum and searching out a bin I can just spit it on the ground.

Everyone is a winner. They get the funding they want we get to dispose of it recklessly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home