Saturday, October 15, 2005

Plans for my computer systems.

One of my systems is an Athlon 64 which I picked to do video editing on. Unfortunately, there is a problem on it where when I am installing something it raises CRC errors on extractions from the cab files. Bring back simple installs is what I say. The more complicated to you make it the easier it seems to screw up. It fails and then uninstalls the application. Bit of a problem because it's an upgrade and has made my previous version unusable.

Tried to look on the Microsoft site. What a nightmare. You need Javascript and ActiveX enabled and I don't have them on. I found that a rebuild every few months was stopped by disabling them. It means my systems don't get protected against everything but seems they don't need it as much with them disabled and I check and download the ones I need. I call it lazy programming but I suspect they are doing other things and need the access. I'm not paranoid for nothing.

I wish they would hurry up and come out with a version of Linux that installed as easily as Windows. I'd be on it in a shot for most of my systems. I'm looking now at changing my servers to simplify them. I've two main ones, one a file server with about 1Tb on it and the other is a Web server with MySQL on. I can replace the file server with a nice new NAS box from Netgear. That will clear one server but only once the disk sizes get to reasonable costs for 500Gb. The NAS box only takes two drives. My current server has four. The next I can already convert to Linux but I need the Windows version until I can relocate my encrypted container files which is using some old software. I've got to decide on what new software I can use. PGP doesn't do much on Linux so I'm leaning to Jetico or I could just keep the containers on the NAS box and use the web server just for web and SQL work.

But, I'll never get round to that while I can't install my editing SW. Maybe it's time for moving disks around and see if it will install on a non AMD system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home