Saturday, October 08, 2005

Moving the Goalposts for more votes.

I hate the principle of this proposal to increase the amount of time a victim can sue. It's another knee jerk reaction by our politicians to what is perceived as a vote winner.

Now, I'm all for crime and punishment with the punishment being something worthwhile. My concern with this sort of thing is that by political whim the sentence can be increased at a later date and after the criminal has even been released. That isn't right. Sentences need to be full and up front as a deterrent. Plus, it should not be related to your bank account. Mmmm. John down the road has a few bob. The rape laws in the UK require very little evidence if I'm prepared to stand up and make myself a victim. I can then sue him and live happily ever after. No point in chasing Dick for rape and my bruises as he has no money.

Punishment needs to have an end date. These rules are in place for a reason and would not be revisited if this guy didn't have a lot of money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home