Thursday, August 16, 2007

It seems the latest fad is spreading.

Here is a crowd of cannibals descendants in Papua New Guinea apologising for their ancestors eating some missionaries. Read here.

Of course it then works out that a British ancestor revenged the killings by killing several tribesmen and torching some villages. Wonder if we are expected to apologise back? It's only polite you know.

Why is apologising for things you have not done the in thing now. It's seems it's spreading though. I wonder if it will ever mean that our government actually apologises to it's citizens for what it has done. I'm not holding my breath. That will probably be a future government. Not actually one of those screwing it up.

makes no sense to me. This touchy feely dogooder stuff.

4 Comments:

At 6:46 am, Blogger James Higham said...

I'm putting up my apology free zone banenr again. Sorry if it offends.

 
At 5:38 pm, Blogger Ruthie said...

I suppose there's some worth to it, but it's dubious. Especially where slavery is concerned.

That I resent.

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Bag said...

Ruthie, I don't see any worth to it. For someone to apologise for someone else makes the apology a mockery. If the person who did it doesn't feel remorse and a need to apologise then what benefit is it.

Maybe we should have a new government department set up. They could apologise for everything to everybody. When I get mugged they could apologise on behalf of the mugger. That will make me fell better or if I mug someone they can apologise for me.

We make such a big thing about apologising but a forced apology or one not from the correct person is worthless.

 
At 10:52 pm, Blogger Colin Campbell said...

You can just imagine a representative from the Department of Sorry turning up at your door with a letter from the Minister apologising for some screw up.

Here in Australia there is a big political deal with the fact that the current Prime Minister won't say sorry for the sins of the white man vis a vis the native Australians. Personally, as you say, a false apology is worse than saying nothing, so I actually agree with him on that.

Many of the things that this generation feels that we should consider apologising for were perfectly acceptable behaviour at the time. Why should this generation apologise as you say. If there is material harm, then reimburse or compensate people. Something that they can use. This happened last week for an aboriginal child that was illegally taken from the family by the State Government. Finally after many years, he is getting compensation. That is what he needs, not an apology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home