Tuesday, April 03, 2007

New techniques for a new type of War.

Well it seems our commanders are getting into the swing of things for thinking about new ways to deal with a new enemy. Sadly, it seems that instead of using our superior intellect and firepower in thinking strategically we are just going to throw our few highly trained troops into a suicidal attack against numerically superior nutters. Read here.

Now I accept that these people see that they may die in combat and have resigned themselves to this fact. If the situation calls for it many people would take out the enemy at the cost of their own lives to save others.

I remember reading a book a few years ago called 'Fall Back' where someone in a secret US government department was asked if they would give their lives up for a cause. Little did they know they were volunteering. Their thoughts were that there was always a way out. Not this time though. It was a story with a bit of sci fi in it. It made me think and at that point I was clear what I would be doing. Back to the present day and I'm still of the opinion I would give my life for others but it would be weighed with family followed by friends etc.

But to ask people to consider having a Taleban or al-Qaeda commander in their sights and out of ammunition or suffered a weapons failure. What would they do? Well, I'd look down and say 'Lucky him' before flying home. Now if it was a Soviet Nuclear Bomber flying to the UK in a time of War I'm sure that would have a different answer.

One pilot said he did not want to die crashing his plane into a Taleban commander only to find he had killed a plumber taking his children to school. A valid concern but what I liked about that was Faith in action. Didn't want to die and then discover..... Talk about Faith. How was that going to work. Waiting in a queue waiting to be judged and talking to the guy next to him with the kids. I just took out a Taliban commander to help free you. Well, I was just walking the kids to school to make sure they had a future when a nutcase crashed his plane on us.

I have no doubt that this was mentioned just to get them thinking but can't help but wonder how it will be perceived by the men in the armed forces. It already looks like they are being sent into battle with little support. I would be getting really concerned now. Maybe it's another of these exploratory comments.

But if this is the way to go. If you can't beat them join them then training in the RAF is about to get much simpler. Full throttle till your flying then left and right followed by down. Let's save on the helmets. Troop training would be just as easy and we could concentrate on running and button pressing. Although I think we would have to introduce forced conscription. Just a feeling. Don't know what made me think that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home