Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What is the real issue?

Reading this article on homelessness.

It seems that 90,000 are currently living in temporary accommodation with 90,000 new cases a year. I wonder about the wisdom of selling off council houses cheaply now while we don't really build entry level, and cost, housing any more.

I was particularly interested that nearly a quarter of these cases, 23%, are due to parents kicking their kids out. The ones that they can't control and are running riot due to government interference in parenting are suddenly discovering, too late, that their parents suddenly do have a say in some things. Of course this leads to the usual call for government interference in the guise of parenting classes. It seemed strange that up until the 80s or so we managed to get on without loads of busy body social workers and GCSE's in nappy changing but if the experts think we need it who am I to go against such distinguished expertise.

A fifth, 20%, is due to relationship break up. I must confess that is less than I thought. I would have thought it would have been more as this immediately splits families into two and doubles the trouble so to speak.

In the meantime 57% of the cases are something unidentified. Mmmm. This must mean something controversial such as immigration and bankruptcies. Can't think of anything else and I wonder what the split is considering the immigration and bankruptcy rates are both up? I know where I'm putting my money.

2 Comments:

At 2:46 pm, Blogger Mr Eugenides said...

Drugs? An astonishingly high proportion of the homeless have drink and drug problems - a lot probably acquired after they become homeless but presumably for quite a few, this is why they lose their tenancies or are kicked out in the first place.

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Bag said...

Mmmmm. Didn't think of that as a separate item as I linked it in with splitting up.

However, since reading some articles on prisons I did think of these people coming out of prison, and not being deported, especially if they have nowhere to go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home