Friday, October 06, 2006

What am I paying my council tax for then?

Just reading this article about Councils looking at charging for waste. The more you put out the bigger the charge. Read here. So no waste disposal service at all really.

Well I have a question now. What am I paying my council tax for then?

If I remember my council tax goes towards so many things I don't use. The only ones I can think of that I could use are the police, fire service and an environmental section.

The police : Mmm. If I call them they don't come unless I am speeding in which case they will be there so fast you think that teleportation is finally here. They are getting so much from speeding and other traffic issues that they should get funding from them. It can't cost much for someone to create a crime number and supply it over the phone which is all I get.

The fire service : If I call they come. They do the job I'm paying for which is to save our lives and as much property as possible. Not used it yet but comfortable that if push came to shove they would be there.

The environmental section : This appears to put flowers on roundabouts and pick up my waste.

That's it. Everything else it is doing for some other person which I am paying for under the pretence it is a public service. Now it appears the only real service I get from the whole bunch of useless clowns I have to pay for directly.

So massive increases over the last 10 years comes down to it is only the fire service I am paying for as a form of insurance. The rest of the money is just wasted. In thinking about the whole package I wonder how much I pay towards the government actually gives me anything back.

This new tax now means I now have to perform more work on behalf of the council. I now need to sort my waste into two piles. The pile that can identify me and the pile that can't.

I do have one question though. If the jails are full at the moment, with druggies and other non victim crimes, what are they going to do when more and more people don't pay their bills? Now is surely the time to make a protest. No jail space means you can only get fined and what can they do when you don't pay.

There is nothing we can do about it at all. Legally we don't have a leg to stand on. I'm beginning to understand why Labour's first act was to ban guns. It gave them the courage to rip us off like this knowing that nothing can be done about it. Even illegally there is nothing at all we can do realistically. Most of us are law abiding. Maybe I'll ask our local DVD guy if he has a batch of Uzi's in. Him being a front for terrorism and all that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home