Sunday, October 08, 2006

UKIP. Can they shed the single issue tag?

I've been keeping an eye on the UKIP proposals over the last few weeks, mainly because of The Devils Kitchen who has decided to throw his hat in with them.

My issue with them is they still are a single issue party to most of the voters and a vote for them is in reality a protest vote at the moment.

However, with Nigel Farage leading it seems to be moving away from that. Read here. Plus, I like the way he talks. That speech about Blair's EU presidency was great. Watch it here and check out the rest. It made me look at them in a new light. He might not be everyone's cup of tea but he is a good speaker and the policies seem to be heading in the right direction.

The good news it is still a few years before an election so they have time to change that and a rebranding with a name change would be advisable. The UKIP still sounds a single issue party no matter how many policies are behind it.

2 Comments:

At 2:12 pm, Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

Yes, it was that video and another couple that persuaded me to join!

I met Farage on Tuesday and liked him immensely; he smokes, he drinks and he has a nice line in self-deprecating humour. Nor was he as loud and strident as I expected him to be...

DK

 
At 11:56 am, Blogger Bag said...

Interesting. I've not really followed them that much but since DK has been a poster boy I've paid a bit more attention. Maybe it is coincidence but since he became leader a few policies, non EU related, have been publicised such as the Tax policy. Maybe unrelated to Farage but to the uninformed, me, it seems a step in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home