Sunday, November 27, 2005

New Toys. While they are still toys.

Went out yesterday and bought myself and my son some new toys.

Thought it was about time he learnt how to use an air rifle. So I bought him a relatively inexpensive model a B3 as a starter. Reasoning being is he doesn't seem to stick with things long, except computers, so nothing expensive and I want him to learn the basics so no gas bottles just a basic springer with no extras. We got the .177 version. I then spent a bit more on myself. I bought a Logun Domin8or. I bought the .177 shrouded version. It is light enough for my weak arms, it weighs less than six pounds, and it is really accurate. I've already aligned the scope and been blowing little holes in targets all day and in some cases blowing holes in my pot stands. Also bought a Gamo P800 air pistol, also .177, and lots of pellets and targets.

Craig has been trying his out and considering he is new to it he seems to be a good shot with it. Way too much time on Silent Scope at the arcades.

We have agreed some basic rules regarding storage and handling which are quite stringent over and above the general rules everybody should follow. It will limit his use especially during the winter months but hopefully he can still practice in the back garden. Our back has a concrete garage as a back stop and I have set up some roof tiles and carpet covering just behind the targets. This gives about 6 sq feet of hard backstop before the garage. We are shooting within a foot of the centre with the rifles easily enough.

It's been really windy today so coupled with the fact it is cold with our wind chill factor added, or subtracted to be accurate, it must be down to minus something. So we have been freezing our butts off while setting all this up and shooting off half a tin of pellets through all three weapons. He doesn't like the pistol and prefers the rifle but I find the pistol easy to use and comfortable to hold. Having had experience before it just felt comfortable and natural.

So we will see what happens with his accuracy. It won't be long before he is better than I am and if he keeps it up I'll get him something better next year sometime.

Next thing he wants is to go clay pigeon shooting again. That is a bit more expensive. I've applied for a shotgun license so that will help. Don't have to pay for an instructor every trip. That will make a saving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home