Thursday, May 03, 2007

What a downer.

Just finished having a nice spot of tuck from our local pub. It's swapped owners again and the new landlady has done some remodeling. Seems it gets some work done every time it swaps hands and not before. Nice meal, served by pleasant people in nice surroundings.

Anyway, a few of my friends were there having a drink. So went over to have a chat. After being brought up to date with what was going on and life as we know it I turned the subject on to the election.
'Have you voted yet?' I asked innocently.
'Why would we want to do that?' was the response.
'Just to do your bit for Democracy' I replied.
'Well, do you remember what you told us only a few months ago?'. Now they had me. I've had so many discussions about so many things I had little or no chance of remembering what he was talking about.
'Well when you vote for a party they see that as support for their policies. Vote Labour and it is seen as you agreeing with the policies over the last fifty years and we want more of the same. Vote Tory and it is seen as a vote for whatever policies they are churning out to get elected.'
The veil lifts and I remember this discussion. Over a year ago when we were deciding what was best. Getting involved with your local drug lord, with the associate risks, and purchasing a Mac10 or building your own from scratch a la Mr Luty. Now the feeling then was that there was no point in voting because there was no difference between the parties and in our area there is very few outside the main three to chose from. In our particular ward none at all outside the main three. As you can see my conversations go all over the place.
'So' He continued ' We can't vote for any of these clowns1 and therefore my brother in law is putting his life on the line to put so called democracy in a country when we don't really have democracy here'
At this point my petard was creaking overhead. I always love using phrases used by others against them in their discussions and now it was my time again.
So I asked 'What were your choices then?'
'Labour or Tory. So we didn't bother wasting our time going. I'm not giving anyone a push forward'

Democracy. Got to love it. Looking back at the people who died, and are dying now, for it makes you wonder.

1) Words changed to protect my 15 rating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home