Wednesday, May 24, 2006

How far we have fallen. Or is it?

Now I know the article is by Amnesty International, I know it's also going on about the terror attacks and how our governments have responded with deception to push the war on terror. Trampling over human rights and being taken to task by ordinary people as well as the courts and the media. I know others out there will give this a good review and the article can be read here.

I read it and wasn't going to comment until I thought about this one thing they mention. 'Rising number of attacks by armed groups in India, Iraq, Jordan and the UK, which the report says are "inexcusable and unacceptable"' A direct quote from the article.

What the hell! Are things so bad in the UK that we are comparing unfavourably with hellholes like Africa and large swath's of the Middle East and Asia. We are being compared directly with the sectarian violence in India and Jordan and a war in Iraq but clearly more violent than the war in Afghanistan and the places in Africa where people are routinely murdered in tribal issues. I just don't believe it. I know things are bad but that is stretching it.

I've looked at the report, albeit a quick skim, but I can't see where the journalists get the data to include the UK in this particular area. Unless, they are talking about the increase of armed raids on innocent people by our security services. Mmmmm. Even that would be stretching it. Something is going on with our journalist. He must be extrapolating something he sees, and I don't, or is just making it up.

One other thing I read in the report the implication we don't care about women because the conviction rate is 5.6% of the reports of rape. Well I don't want to start with that but if that is the sort of interpretation we want to put they will not getting any money off me. Err, OK that won't make a difference but it makes my stance plain. This sort of statement also makes me question the other conclusions drawn by them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home