Thursday, November 10, 2005

Has party allegiance changed so much?

This article is talking about political target groups and trying to define their allegiances.

I read this statement; "Party political allegiance is no longer handed down from generation to generation or family to family."

I must confess I was a bit taken aback when I read it as I thought it mean that people were changing their way of thinking but I certainly have not seen it where I am. People I know have always voted for any of the other parties and I only know of four or five people who are floaters. Then I understood it to mean parents were no longer dictating to their children who to vote for. Less of a surprise as kids are a lot more independent and less ignorant when it comes to politics.

So in reality. Still the status quo we have always had with Labour have a hard core, Tories have a smaller hard core and Lib Dems have a, much smaller, hard core. Probably less than 20% of people in the UK decide the outcome between Labour and the Tories mainly by shifting allegiance to the Tories.

Since the Tories don't seem to have any coherency at this point I hope that whoever gets chosen as their leader will at the very least pull the party together enough to put up a fight at the next election. Maybe with a bit of luck they will even have some decent policies although I doubt things can change that much.

That's why I always have a great time whenever we discuss Democracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home